Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Random thoughts from the desk of Greg Stoesz


This is my first trip to Guatemala in 3 years.  A lot has changed here but a lot has stayed the same.  The International language of laughter is strong as ever.  The international language of tears is also strong here.  The other day I was listening to the girls play basketball, it was all laughter.  No matter how bad or nonexistent our Spanish might be, laughter transcends.  New to me this year is the lock down on photos of the girls.  It makes sense as the severity of the abuse and the aggressive pursuit of justice here, the need for security increases. 


The other night we had dinner in the individual houses here.  A girl that I sat next to has cutting lines on her arms.  It wrecked me to see that outward expression of internal pain.  I felt like I failed her.  That night my tears were for her.  Tears transcended that night.  

Tonight, we got the blessing of incredible lasagna but more important to be able to worship with the girls.   Two girls were not doing what they were supposed to do.  They were removed and talked to, only one of them returned to the room.  I witnessed tough love.  They were not respecting the boundaries they were given, and they were removed.  I have no idea what was said to them, but I know I witnessed Grace for the one who returned.  Worshiping our King is the same no matter the language.  Raising kids is the same no matter what the country.  

It is so easy in our Minnesota bubble to think that worship and following Christ is only one way. It looks different here.  Sanctification looks different here.  

Work projects are coming along well.  I think we have a good handle of finishing up what we have been given to do by the end of the week.  

I had lunch today with a young lady that I have known since my first trip 9 years ago.  She is now working here at the Oasis in the kitchen and it is a good thing for here and her family.  It was very special to me that I could get a firsthand account of what God has been doing in here life and in her heart.  The maturity and outlook on life that she now possesses was a blessing to here.  We laughed and we cried together. 

I miss my wife while here, brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it, 4 more sleeps honey.

We are doing good things here, things that make the Lord pleased.  I know that because this trip stirs the enemy.  Please continue to pray for us and out families.  

Tomorrow brings another beautiful day with more work, more opportunity to lift someone up with a smile, a "Hola". A high five.  It can be that simple.  

Thank you for reading my thoughts. This tired man needs some downtime and sleep.  

Greg


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update Mr. Stoesz. Great picture of you and that not-so-little-anymore one. Continuing to pray that God will continue to use you for His Glory, and for the teams good.

    Dave M

    ReplyDelete